Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Brief History Lesson

So I have inherited my mother's laptop. It is a very pleasing experience to use it. No longer do I have to huddle on my computer chair with a blanket wrapped tightly around me for warmth as I type things up or browse the internet. No, now I can has computer in bed. It's like breakfast in bed, only better because a laptop has a lot more options than breakfast. You can only eat a breakfast. With a laptop, there's so much more...
But I digress. Today I was watching the show 'Deadliest Warrior', and the episode that I managed to catch was actually quite amusing. Vlad the Impaler vs Sun Tsu (Chinese General who was a very good tactician, if you didn't know. I'm pretty sure everyone's at least heard of Vlad the Impaler.) The match went to Vlad hands down, 652 wins to Sun Tsu's 348. The analysis that went into the episode was interesting, but it's sort of Vlad's history that interests me more. I mean, the guy was a freaking psychopath. A freaking awesome psychopath. As you've probably heard, he liked to dine every day in a forest of his impaled enemies. He would literally dip his bread into his fallen enemy's blood and eat it. A famous story with him involved how two Turk emissaries came to his castle and refused to take off their turbans because of their religious beliefs. So Vlad had the turbans nailed to their heads and the bodies of the two sent back to the rest of the Turks to serve as an example.
So...why can't we write about guys like him in our history classes? I mean, I'm sure I could write a much cooler essay about Mr. Vlad than about, I don't know, the Communist Revolution in Russia. I mean, everyone writes about those types of things. Everyone knows about the main issues that are covered in History, because we've all gone over them six or seven times in our grade school life. I think high school history should have covered some more interesting topics. After all, how often do you talk about a forest of impaled victims in school? I think a lot more people would have wanted to take history classes, am I right?
That's just my take on things, I suppose.
Oh, and by the way, Vlad the Impaler inspired Dracula. Don't you think that's an important historical fact that should have been covered in history? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment